I really enjoy reflecting on the day over a delicious mug of herbal tea. Its especially soothing this time of year when the seasons are changing and chill is in the air.
Here is the recipe for my favorite herbal tea.
Homemade Chai (this makes about about 4 cups, you can halve the recipe if you want)
- Cardamom Pods- about 10
- Cinnamon Stick-1 whole
- Whole Peppercorns- about 6 or 7
- Whole Cloves- about 5
- Fresh Ginger Root- about a 1″ nub grated finely
- Half of a Vanilla Bean Pod w/ Seeds
- 2-3 bags or tbsp of your favorite green or black tea ( i prefer caffeine free green tea)
- 4 Cups Filtered Water- (approximate)
- In a medium to large size saucepan add your 4 cups of filtered water. You can add more or less if you want.
- Using a mortar and pestle break-up slightly the cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, whole peppercorns and whole cloves. Add to water along with the grated ginger root and the vanilla bean pod, scraping seeds from pod.
- Bring water to a boil and then turn down the heat to medium and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and then add tea bags and let steep. If you are using green tea only steep for about 5 minutes, Green tea tends to get bitter if steeped too long.
- Strain the spices and sweeten tea with honey or stevia. You can add cream or coconut milk/ cream if you want.